Alexei Toliopoulos’s review published on Letterboxd:
This is the closest thing I’ve ever seen that feels like an honest to god naturally birthed from America martial arts movie. The remake should have Wuxia style fights.
Things I consider to be powerfully cinematic;
- melodious yet hard hitting dialogue
- Ben Gazzara
- huge tits
- male ass
- story worlds with a really specific buy in (bouncers are renowned)
- almost seeing a guy’s hog a few times
- Swayze in suede
- big fat guys
- big knives
- high neck T-shirts
- wood furniture and paneling
- a fighter that studied philosophy
- “you’re a bleeder”
- gorgeous 70s style shag pad sitting atop some fucking stick hole barn
- karate casual gi tucked into jeans
- Sam Elliott anxiously watching over a wet gstring contest
- doing laundry at a laundromat
- knife boot
- clocking the knife boot
- that explosion
- the next explosion
- “I used to fuck guys like you in prison”
- car barrel roll shotgun blast into explosion
- reveal the car was driven by a knife stabbed into the pedal
- Gazzara’s rectangle watch face with leather wrist
- “you found my trophy room, the only thing missing is your ass”
- the violent squib work on Gazzara is so grizzly!
Andrew Dice Clay should be in this as either himself or Ford Fairlane solving a case or something in the background.
The new 4k UHD from Vingerar Syndrome is a dream.