Hello all, and welcome to the Daily Horror Hunt for March 2023. It's been a while since I hosted one of these hunts and I'm glad to be back.
I've decided to spice things up for my fourth time hosting and went with a chain reaction challenge! The basic concept of it is that each film in your list (excluding the first one) must be connected in a certain way to the film before it, thus creating a chain of interconnected films as you assemble your list. Hopefully I've made my clues understandable and easy to follow, but let me know if there's any questions.
If you for any reason meet a dead end as you build your chain, you will have to improvise by carrying on with a horror film from the dreaded Anti-Letterboxd 250. Tread carefully..
Remember to tag your lists and reviews with "Daily Horror Hunt" and "March Horror 2023" so that we can easily see what everybody is up to!
1. Your first pick will be decided by the whims of my co-host! In this video my co-host has been presented with a selection of famed old school horror actors, 8 in total! He methodically goes through each of the names, eliminating a total of 7 names from the board until only the 8 and final name is left. The final name left on the board by my co-host is also the name of the actor that must star in your film of choice for the #1 spot of this horror hunt. In case any of you can't access the video for some reason or another, I've also written out the name of my co-host's choice in the written note under my own #1 choice!
2. Your second film depends on our last month's host.
If your pick for #1 has either been logged by Michelle 🎄📚 MichelleBookAddict OR is in her watchlist then you must watch a horror film from before 1950.
If Michelle hasn't logged it nor plans to (according to her watchlist), then you must watch a horror film from after 1950.
As for Michelle herself, I'll leave it up to her whether she uses this prompt to watch something she has logged before or not (and abiding by the same rules as everyone else after that). I also humbly request Michelle to refrain from adding any new films starring the actor of my co-host's choice to her watchlist during the length of this horror hunt, as a way to ensure that our fellow hunters don't experience unnecessary fright and/or confusion.
3. Now count the total amount of characters (letters and numbers) in the title of your pick for #2 and watch a horror film from a year that contains that number. Let's say your #2 has a total of 9 characters in its title, then for example you could watch a film from 1962, 2009 or even 1890!
4. Now look at the poster for your #3. Pick a horror film that shares a predominant color on the poster with your #3 .
5. What country is your #4 from? Whatever it is, watch a horror film that comes from the same continent (but NOT the same country!!) as your #4 pick!
6. Now I want you to watch a horror film that stars an actor/actress from your #5.
7. Now watch a horror film that shares any non-horror genre tag with your #6.
8. What's the runtime of your #7? Watch a horror film with the same runtime as your #7.
9. Now watch any other horror film from the director of your #8.
10. Does the poster for your #9 show any trace of a human being? If it does, watch a horror film that I've rated 4 stars or higher. If it doesn't, watch a horror that I've rated 1.5 stars or lower.
11. Now watch a horror film that comes from the same subgenre as your #10 pick!
12. Now watch a horror film that shares a composer with your #11 pick!
13. Is your #12 based on a book, video game, tv-series or any other media besides film? If it is, then watch a horror film starring one of your favorite actors or actresses. If it isn't, then watch a horror film from a director that you've given a bad rating to in the past.
14. Now check out the top reviews for your #13. Pick an account responsible for one of the top reviews, and watch a horror film that they have rated 4 stars or higher.
15. Is your #14 available on any streaming service (or any other legal source)? If it is, then watch a horror film that is available from that same source. If it isn't, then watch any horror film from my psychical collection
16. Now watch a horror film that shares a writer with your #15.
17. What is the average rating of your pick for #16? Watch a horror film with the same average rating.
18. Now watch a horror film that you think would make a terrific double feature with your #17.
19. How many people has seen your #18? If it has less than 10K views on Letterboxd, then watch the most popular horror film on Letterboxd that you haven't seen yet. If it has more than 10K views, then watch a horror film from your watchlist (or mine, if you don't use yours) with less than 10K views!
20. Now go check out the people who have rated your #19. Pick any Letterboxd account that has rated your #19 4 stars or higher and watch a horror film that they have rated 2 stars or lower!
21. Now watch a horror film that shares a studio with your #20.
22. Watch a horror film that shares a producer with your #21.
23. Watch a horror film that is part of any Letterboxd list together with your #22. Do try to avoid lists like "Every Horror Film Ever Made". Just to make it more fun!
24. Watch a horror film with a poster that shares a motive with the poster for your #23 (colors are not enough, unless we're talking about a poster that is simply a splash of a singular color!).
25. Watch a horror film that came out in the same month as your #24 (it doesn't have to be the same date or year, just the month!).
26. How many characters (letters and numbers) are there in the title of your #25 pick? Watch a film with the same amount of characters in the title!
27. Watch a horror film that came out 27 years before or after your #26 pick!
28. Watch a horror film that shares a language with your #27 pick! If your #27 pick is listed as having English + any non-english language in it, then you must pick a film that features the non-english language!
29. Watch a horror film that shares any crew member with your #28 pick, and it can't be a director, producer, writer or composer!
30. Watch a horror film that came out during the same decade as your #29.
31. And now we finish by looking ahead at our next host, kasarin! Has kasarin logged your #30 here on Letterboxd? If they have, this one is a free space. If they haven't, then you must watch a horror film with an average rating of 2.5 or lower.