An immensely unpleasant experience. The shakiest of cams, the most vaseline-smeared of lenses, I guess to give us a feeling of unease and instability akin to the lead’s. Mission accomplished, I guess. I don’t think everyone in this movie is a terrible person, but everyone is shown almost exclusively saying and doing terrible things. Is there a purpose to it? I need a good reason to spend a movie’s length watching crappy people be crappy to each other. “It’s a metaphor” doesn’t cut it.
"Oh great," thought I, "another 'Jerry helps some random animal that Tom wants to kill/catch/eat' short." Well imo this turns out to be the cream of that crop. The backgrounds are gorgeous (that sunrise!). The animation is fabulous. The violence is clever and funny. The surreal ending is a hoot.
I'm sure I'm ranking this higher than most would, but this one just hit me right.
1. In spite the name, the penguins are not very peculiar
2. In spite the poster, the penguins do not wear people clothes
3. The penguin song is quite condescending to penguins
1. The girl penguin almost goes out like Quint in Jaws
2. Easily one of the most hardcore villain finishers in the Silly Symphony canon