Michelle K’s review published on Letterboxd:
I sincerely love Wanda Maximoff So Much. My heart breaks for her So Much. Elizabeth Olsen does not have to go so hard as she does in these MCU properties (WandaVision and here), but she commits 1,000% and I am such a huge fan of her for it.
- this score is FANTASTIC.
- Wanda. ❤️😭💔
- America Chavez! Love her.
- having multiverse characters really lets Marvel show how truly powerful the Scarlet Witch is. I was very gleefully horrified at many things she did in the middle section of this movie.
- this was legit creepy! Probably horror fans will roll their eyes, but for the MCU…this went places and I jumped at least twice.
- Wanda. 💔😭❤️
- this feels different enough from all the other ‘same-y’ MCU fare that I hardly realized many of the same ‘MCU’ beats and tricks were still present. Bravo, Sam Raimi!
- the title screen at the end of the film looks like a throwback to the 70s/80s era horror/pulp novel cover. Gave me big Stephen King book cover vibes.
- did I mention Wanda??? I just really feel such a connection to Wanda and her pain is palpable. Wanda 💔
- the eyeball??!?!!! Amazing. The effects of the cgi monsters were well done. Some of that stuff looked so textured and layered it seemed almost real. (Some wonky green screen sequences excepted, of course)
- I really didn’t like the first Doctor Strange movie, so this was a welcome sequel!
This is definitely a top 5 ranking MCU film for me. (Maybe even top 3)
Edited to add: based on some other reviews and reactions I’m hearing/reading, it sounds like the fact that I don’t watch trailers and I avoid spoilers really benefitted me in the end. Expectation based on trailers/images can be a true enjoyment killer. 🤷♀️