Justin Peterson’s review published on Letterboxd:
Brad Pitt as a goofy matter-of-fact action hero, who gets way more than he bargained for when a simple fill in job has him board a train full of assassins .... Yes Please!
"You ever watch Thomas the Tank Engine? ... Here we go ... Hey, you watch something nowadays, what is it, huh? Nothing. Its twists, violence, drama, no message. What's the point? Huh? What are we supposed to learn? Everything I learned about people I learned from Thomas."
Bullet Train in a nutshell felt like a fun mash-up of 'Snatch' & 'Train to Busan'. I did eventually stop caring about the convoluted plot, but all the amusing banter from these quirky assassins going after each other had me buckled in for the whole ride.
"I am going to ruin your life the way you ruined mine! ... Dude, I don't even know you!"
(Quick Hits) ... Spoilers:
- So I guess Sandra Bullock, Channing Tatum, and Brad Pitt are all cameoing in each other's movies now
- Brad Pitt is fantastic as this unique contrast of a tough guy for hire who can throw down, but is also named Lady Bug and navigates around this situation in kind of a silly natural questioning way
- While it does mostly take place on the train, I figured that it being a Bullet Train in Japan would have mattered more to the story
- What a crazy cast of characters throughout ... especially Michael Shannon, Brian Tyree Henry, and Aaron Taylor-Johnson
- There was a bit of a neat mystery dynamic since most of them are not familiar with each other, which Joey King's very attractive but lethal character takes full advantage of
- Being the father of boys, it did crack me up to hear all the Thomas The Tank Engine banter throughout
- The action is solid and intense at times, but the comedy is where Bullet Train shines. My biggest crack-up had to be when Ladybug accidentally reveals that he has the wrong briefcase ... and then they have to scramble to get back on the train before it takes off again
- Even the crazy train derailment part at the end takes a backseat for me, compared to Sandy showing up to give Bradd shit ... only for her car to then immediately get crushed
Brad Pitt is probably one of my favorite actors, and I would love to see him continue rocking these genuinely funny action comedies.
Thanks for reading!
If you would like to support my writing, here is my Venmo.
Happy movie watching ... Skål! 🍻