Justin Peterson’s review published on Letterboxd:
(Halloween Movie Fest 2021)
Nightmare's original scream queen returns to help some troubled teens unite against Freddy.
"Let's go kick the motherfucker's ass all over dreamland."
While I would not say these Nightmare on Elm Street sequels are great movies, they are vastly more creative and fun compared to the Friday the 13th formula. I am not sure if it is because I was not exposed to these kinds of horror movies growing up, or because the covers in Blockbuster freaked me out ... but I never had much interest in watching these until now. I was especially looking forward to this one due to that sweet title. It had a few freaky awesome moments, but for the most part it was just ok.
"Sleep. Those little slices of Death. How I loathe them."
- Edgar Allen Poe
(Quick Hits) ... Spoilers:
- I dread the day when I have to touch slimy papier-mâché again for one of my kid's art projects
- IDK, teen suicide is a solid threat to make this a tense movie. But for me, it is a pretty uncomfortable topic which makes it hard to jive with in a 'fun' horror flick
- It is funny how gory this movie is while also feeling like it was made for TV
- Freddy tearing out that kid's flesh and pulling him like a marionette was gnarly
- Fun fact: This was Patricia Arquette's first role and those dream gymnastics moves were neat. But seeing her now just reminds me of her getting freaky in 'Lost Highway'
- You would not think the main character played by Heather Langenkamp from the first movie would end up being the worst actor
- Freddy's completely burnt skin is still unsettling to look at, the knives on his fingers are wicked, and he morphs into all kinds of cool things ... yup he is my GOAT slasher villain
- It is neat to see how his knife hand gets incorporated into his shapeshifting
- Death by TV would have to be my least favorite kill
"This is it, Jennifer: your big break in TV ... Welcome to prime time, bitch!"
- Those cuts appearing on that kid's stomach was a great homage to 'The Exorcist'
- Being hung over a pit of flames would be terrifying!
- Freddy's skeleton comes to life to kick some ass 🤣
- So Freddy was conceived while his mom was being nearly raped to death after being mistakenly locked up with inmates .... now that is one twisted back story
This would have been a solid way to wrap up the franchise since Freddy's remains are still around in a bag, and just needed to be buried. I heard the franchise amps up on the campy factor moving forward, so I will be curious to see if that ruins these nightmare movies for me.
Thanks for reading.
Happy spooky movie watching season ... Skål! 🍻