Cinema_Strikes’s review published on Letterboxd:
Was that incredibly fucking stupid and awful or have I just gotten too old for more of this horseshit? I think the former? But maybe the latter? All that sophomoric meta plotting, it’s like hanging out with a college freshman who’s way too impressed with themselves. Enervating.
1. I thought Matrix Resurrections was the most up-its-own-ass movie of last year, but this gives it a run for its money. Then again, being up their own asses is kind of the raison d'être of the Scream movies, so it’s more excusable.
2. Melissa Barrera is straight up TERRIBLE as the main girl. Significantly worse than in In the Heights, where she was kind of tolerable.
3. I can’t decide whether to be amused or annoyed at the “homage” of Mikey Madison as “girl who gets set on fire.” Leaning annoyed.
4. Jasmin Savoy Brown as Mindy is the only bright spot in this thing, her open bemusement and contempt was at least amusing.
5. I bagged out on this franchise after thoroughly enjoying the clever original, and finding the second to be a case of diminishing returns. Doubt I’ll ever get around to 3 and 4, though I might for Craven completism.
[Alamo Season Pass] (glad I didn’t pay for that crap)