This review may contain spoilers. I can handle the truth.
eagle’s review published on Letterboxd:
This review may contain spoilers.
everything i love about pride and prejudice in order of me noticing it on my 20th (or so) rewatch
1. lizzie biting her lip and smiling at her book
2. lizzie's little hmm after she shuts her book
3. the two and a half min long tracking shot at the very start
4. the voices that flit in and out underneath dario marianelli's gorgeous 'dawn'
5. keira's gorgeous neck and everything about her
6. the way mr bennet goes "heavens. people." about his own ass daughters when he comes out of his study
7. carey's adorable little dimples
8. the way lizzie grimaces when she sees her parents kiss in front of her
9. lizzie giggling from the couch watching her sisters
10. the way longbourne just doesnt have some of the glass in their windows
11. THE FUCKING SONG THE BALL OPENS WITH
12. LIZZIE AND JANE'S CUTE LITTLE LIGHT BLUSHY CHEEKS, A BIT PINK FROM EXERTION AS IF THEYVE JUST SAT DOWN AFTER DANCING
13. THE INFLECTION ROSAMUND USES TO SAY "ONE OF THESE DAYS LIZZIE, SOMEONE WILL CATCH YOUR EYE AND YOU WILL HAVE TO WATCH YOUR TONGUE!"
14. the way everyone who notices darcy and the bingleys just lowkey dies inside and quivers in fear
15. THE WHOLE FIRST GLANCE WHERE DARCY NOTICES LIZZIE AND MAKES EYE CONTACT W HER OUT OF EVERYONE AND THEN IMMEDIATELY TURNS AWAY BECAUSE IT WAS SO UNEXPECTED AND HIS EMOTIONALLY CONSTIPATED ASS DIDNT KNOW WHAT TO DO
16. LIZZIE JUST BREAKING OUT INTO THE ABSOLUTE CUTEST GIGGLE W HER FACE ALL PINK AND SWEET
17. LIZZIE TELLING JANE TO SMILE AT BINGLEY
18. MRS BENNET LITERALLY DANCING TO TRAVEL ACROSS THE ROOM
19. BINGLEY'S FLUFFY HAIR
20. THE WAY EACH OF THE BENNET SISTERS + CHARLOTTE'S DRESS COLOURS AT THE BALL MATCHES THEIR PERSONALITIES PERFECTLY: LIZZIE IN A SPECIAL BUT STILL GROUNDED/EARTHLY GREEN, JANE IN AN ANGELIC PEACHY PINKY NUDE TO SYMBOLISE HER IDEALISM AND SWEETNESS, LYDIA IN BRIGHT, LOUD YELLOW AND KITTY IN A DRESS THAT'S LITERALLY LYDIA LITE, MARY IN GREY FOR HER SOMEWHAT WEAK AND QUIET PERSONALITY, CHARLOTTE IN BROWN, MUCH EARTHIER THAN LIZZIE AND THE OTHERS
21. jane's absolutely melodious and smooth voice
22. the sheer 😳 ON BINGLEY'S facE WHEN HE AND JANE TOUCH HANDS WHILE DANCING
23. LIZZIE'S UTTER AWKWARD CONFUSION WHEN DARCY SAYS HE DOESNT DANCE, NOT IF HE CAN HELP IT. AS IF HE WOULD BE POSSESSED AND START DANCING OUT OF HIS WILL OR SOME SHIT.
24. the way lizzie just shuts her eyes and takes a deep breath in frustration because of darcy al fucking ready I LOVE THEM
25. the little excitement lizzie has before becoming deflated when darcy and bingley bring her up
26. the way lizzie tries to hide her hurt by looking down and attempting to laugh and her voice gets a little thick UGHHHHH ACTING
27. LIZZIE'S WEE FUCKING LIP BITE WHEN SHE SEES BINGLEY LOOKING AT JANE
28. the way lizzie just fucking drops her smile when mrs bennet's drunk ass calls her bff ugly
29. THE SICKEST FUCKING BURN TO HAVE EVER EXISTED IN THE HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE EVEN BEYOND FILM
30. THE WAY LIZZIE AND JANE HUDDLE UNDER THE COVERS WHAT THE FUCK I CANT DO THIS I WANT TO ACTUALLY CRY THE PURE LOVE AND INNOCENCE AND SWEETNESS IN JANE'S face and how open and soft it is compared to lizzie who is extremely sharp and deductive even in her face when she isnt speaking
31. the way lizzie says MOOORNING at breakfast
32. lizzie's lip bites of happiness
33. LIZZIE'S FUCKING EYES AND EYELASHES THROUGHOUT THIS ENTIRE GODDAMN MOVIE
34. the way lizzie pronounces mamA!
35. THE FUCKING SHOT OF LIZZIE WALKING ACROSS THE FIELD WITH THE MASSIVE TREE GOD I COULD CRY
36. DARCY'S FUCKING AWKWARDNESS WHEN HE JUST SHOOTS UP OUT OF HIS SEAT UPON SEEING HER AND THEN HE JUST STARES AT HER IN SILENCE FOR LIKE 10 FUCKING SECONDS LIKE A COMPLETE NUT AND HIS GAZE CANT LEAVE HER EVEN AS CAROLINE SPEAKS TO HIM AND LIZZIE LEAVES THE ROOM
37. THE LEVEL OF JITTERY AWKWARDNESS AND BLUSHINESS BINGLEY HAS AROUND JANE I COULD LOSE IT RIGHT NOW
38. the way lizzie just finds bingley's sweetness so endearing in the absolute most platonic way and smiles whenever he speaks
39. "AND OF COURSE SHE MUST IMPROVE HER MIND BY EXTENSIVE READING". BOOK SLAMS SHUT. WHAT THE FUCK. CINEMA. C I N E M A.
40. "i never saw such a woman. she would certainly be a fearsome thing to behold" INVENTED FEMINISM
41. BINGLEY'S FUCKING LAUGH
42. the way lizzie clearly has no trust or care for caroline
43. lizzie's straight and purposeful walk compared to caroline's swaying strut. goodness
44. MY GOOD OPINION ONCE LOST IS LOST FOREVER
45. WHAT A SHAME FOR A DEARLY LOVE TO LAUGH
46. if anyone is driven to distraction by anyone, it's darcy by lizzie
47. THE FUCKIBG HAND TOUCH
48. LONGING STARE
49. HAND FLEX
50. WHAT THE FUCK
51. MANY YEARS SINCE IVE HAD SUCH AN EXEMPLARY VEGETABLE
52. THE WAY LIZZIE CANT HELP BUT LAUGH AT HOW FUCKING STUPID MR COLLINS IS
53. lizzie and mr bennet sharing a look after he mocks mr collins
54. oh BELIEVE ME, NOBODY WOULD SUSPECT YOUR MANNERS TO BE REHEARSED
55. THE FUCKING ZOOM
56. the delivery of : it is he who must go. not i. (twig snap)
57. MORE TRACKING SHOTS
58. MR BINGLEY JUST BLURTING SO HE CAN SPEND JUST TWO SECONDS MORE W JANE
59. THE PEARLS IN LIZZIE'S HAIR
60. darcy's awkward emotionally dense behaviour i ADORE HIM
61. THE STIFLED BEMUSEMENT AND DISGUST ON LIZZIE'S FACE BECAUSE OF MR COLLINS AND THE LITTLE EXPRESSIONS SHE MAKES THROUGHOUT
62. LIZZIE'S COMPLETE AND ABSOLUTE REFUSAL TO LOOK COLLINS IN THE EYE COMPARED TO HOW SHE AND DARCY STARE AT EACH OTHER SO FUCKING HARD THE REST OF THE ROOM FUCKING FADES AWAY
63. LITERALLY THEY DO NOT STOP MAKING EYE CONTACT WHENEVER IT IS POSSIBLE
64. THEIR BANTER I DONT KNOW HOW TO ACT
65. THE LIGHT BLUSH IN HER CHEEKS WHEN THEY DANCE
66. HER SICK BURNS AGAINST HIM PART TWO
67. lizzie saying great opportunity to meet new people as if she actually likes more than 1% of the people she speaks to
68. HE LOTERALLY SAID IN A ROUNDABOUT WAY THAT HE WANTS TO SPEND MORE TIME W HER IN THE FUTURE
69. EVERYONE ELSE FADING AWAY BUT THE TWO OF THEM 😭😭😭😭😭
70. the way darcy almost smacks collins w his elbow because he just did not notice his existence
71. bingley wanting to touch jane but not knowing how she will react so he just gently touches the fabric of her dress
72. THEIR HANGOVER CURES LMAO
73. THE WAY LIZZIE JUST FUCKING DIES INSIDE WHEN COLLINS SAYS HE WANTS TO TALK TO HER ALONE
74. lizzie quietly begging jane and her father
75. THE PATHETIC FUCKING WEED HE ATTEMPTS TO OFFER HER AND THE LEVEL OF DISGUST ON HER FACE
76. THE SPEED OF LIZZIE'S SPEECH WHEN HER EMOTIONS ARE HIGH AND SHE'S UPSET
77. I AM NOT THE SORT OF FEMALE TO TORMENT A RESPECTABLE MAN
78. EVERYONE FUCKING LAUGHING BECAUSE COLLINS HAS BEEN REJECTED AHAHAAHAHAHA
79. THE GEESE 😭😭😭😭😭
80. keira's eyes and hair in the sun
81. LIZZIE FROM THIS DAY ONWARD, YOU MUST BE A STRANGER TO ONE OF YOUR PARENTS. YOUR MOTHER WILL NEVER SEE YOU AGAIN IF YOU MARRY MR COLLINS AND I WILL NEVER SEE YOU AGAIN IF YOU DO
82. HELOVESYOUJANE DO NOT GIVE UP🤬
83. lizzie kissing jane's forehead
84. the whole interaction with lizzie and charlotte by the swing
85. the way she says mr darcy
86. the way their eyes are illuminated by the sun as they quietly gaze at each other
87. the slight clashes of the notes as lizzie makes mistakes god i adore her
88. their bants pt 8000
89. THE WAY SHE TEASES HIM
90. HE JUST BARGED IN AHAHAHAHAHA
91. AND THEN WOULDNT SIT DOWN
92. AND JUST AWKWARDLY STARED AT HER FOR LIKE 30 SECONDS WITHOUT SPEAKING WHILE SQUISHING HIS HAT
93. AND THEN SAID
94. THIS IS A CHARMING HOUSE
95. MORE SILENCE
96. LIZZIE'S FACE IS ALL LIGHTLY DUSTED PINK
97. THE WAY HE JUSY RUNS AWAY AT THE FIRST OPPORTUNITY
98. the slight quiver in lizzie's lips and her gaze when she asks who darcy broke up, knowing full well it was jane and bingley
99. THE WAY SHE STARTLES WHEN SHE SEES HIM
100. HE RAN ALL THE WAY AFTER HER IN THE RAIN
101. I LOVE YOU. MOST ARDENTLY.
102. PLEASE DO ME THE HONOUR OF ACCEPTING MY HAND.
103. THE PACE OF THEIR SPEECH FUUUCK!
104. THE BLUE OF HIS EYES AND THE PINK OF HIS LIPS
105. I MUST REITERATE AGAIN HOW MUCH I LOVE HOW QUICKLY THEY SPEAK IN THIS SCENE ITS DOWNRIGHT PERFECT IT'S WHO THEY ARe
106. the way darcy pronounces inferiority
107. THE LOOK THE WAY HE TILTS HIS HEAD AND HIS MOVEMENT STUTTERS ENOUGH THAT HE LEANS IN TOWARDS HER AND SHE SLOWLY LEAND IN TOO WITH HER EYES HUGE AND DEMANDING AND THEIR MOUTHS ARE SO CLOSE AND OPENING OUTSIDE OF THEIR OWN VOLITION AND HIS GAZE CAN BARELY LEAVE HER LIPS EVEN AS HE CONTEMPLATES HIS HURT
108. the setting of the sun against lizzie's face and the candlelight gentle against her cheek with the moonlight on her other
109. her eyes
110. the quiet pain in his face and voice
111. also the way he disappears when she turns around is so very reminiscent of the way selina disappears from the rooftop and bruce turns around and sees that she's gone in the dark knight rises
112. what are men compared to rocks and mountain
113. the tear trickling down her face as she speaks of darcy
114. HER EYELIDS AND LASHES
115. god the shot here on the cliff is so gorgeous it inspires tears
116. and the music
117. the shot inside pemberley ... absolutely gorgeous
118. lizzie's aesthetic arrest looking at the art of her future home
119. lizzie absolutely stopped, with tears glimmering in her eyes as she gazes upon the face of his bust
120. the subtle change in her expression as soon as darcy steps into her sightline
121. darcy running after lizzie part two
122. them talking over each other part two
123. his eyes matching his jacket
124. the way they both quiver because they're bursting with emotions and things to say but their mouths and hands are stopped by apprehension and the rules of propriety
125. the way they try to communicate everything without saying anything they really want to say
126. the sweetness in both of their faces under both the natural sun and georgiana's sunny disposition
127. georgiana looking at the two of it because She Knows
128. THE WAY HE SITS DOWN AND THEN LITERALLY SHUDDERS IN ALARM AND STANDS UP IMMEDIATELY AGAIN WHEN LIZZIE WALKS IN IN TEARS
129. LIZZIE ADMITTING THAT SHE THINKS OF DARCY ALL THE TIME ...
130. the way lizzie latches on to the fact that darcy was at lydia's wedding immediately
131. lizzie caring after jane immediately after hearing of bingley's arrival
132. THEIR PANIC AS THEY DUST UP
133. AND THEN THE FALSE CALMNESS AS DARCY AND BINGLEY ENTER THE ROOM AHAHAHAAHAHA AS IF THEY WERENT JUST CLOMPING AROUND IN PANIC MOMENTS EARLIER
134. the quiet hope in mrs bennet's voice as she addresses bingley about jane
135. lizzie being the only one who address darcy
136. jane's hair and eyes illuminated by the sun and the pinkness of her cheeks
137. DARCY AND BINGLEY PRACTISING THE PROPOSAL LIKE BEST BROS
138. "jane... i'm so blind." with tears brimming in her eyes
139. the way bingley just says "miss bennet" without specifying who and everyone knew exactly who
140. his pants in the same shade of blue as jane's favourite coat
141. jane's blonde hair looking perfectly halo-esque in the sun as she accepts bingley's proposal
142. lizzie leaving the house to be heartbroken as to not dampen the mood of her family
143. darcy staring longingly at longbourne
144. i knew she could not be so beautiful for nothing
145. BRA! VO!
146. LIZZIE SAYING "PERHAPS MR COLLINS HAS A COUSIN" AS IF SHE ISNT MR COLLINS' FUCKING COUSIN
147. heaven and earth, are the shades of pemberley to be thus polluted?
148. the sadness in her voice when lizzie admits that she is not engaged with darcy
149. FOR ONCE IN YOUR LIFE LEAVE ME ALONE.
150. THE WAY THEY JUST COSMICALLY COMMUNICATED TO EACH OTHER AND FOUND EACH OTHER ...
151. DARCY EMERGING FROM THE MIST AND LIZZIE TURNING TO SEE HIM, HER HAIR DAMO FROM THE MIST AND MORNING DEW, HER EYES DARK AND TROUBLED
152. YOU MUST KNOW, SURELY YOU MUST KNOW, IT WAS ALL FOR YOU.
153. lizzie rejecting collins' proposal and saying that she is not the kind of female who would torment a respectable man and then darcy knowing her so well that he opens by saying that he knows that she would not trifle with him
154. he fully respects her and would not do anything to force her hand
155. you have bewitched me, body and soul. and i love .. i love ... i love you. i never wish to be parted to you from this day on.
156. her lips touching his hand, the very hand that flexed after helping her into the carriage, the very hand that was pictured as she left his estate in pemberley
157. the sun coming up and illuminating all of the spaces between them as they touch foreheads in the most intimate and sweet manner
158. the musical recall to the beginning of the film in a. different key
159. how they cant take their eyes off each other even now when they are already engaged ...
160. but this would be nothing if you really liked him
161. i do like him. i love him.
162. darcy still refusing to socialise like the awkward being he is
163. he's been a fool. about jane. about so many other things. but then ... but then so have i.
164. you see. he and i are so similar. (the speed of her speech here again as she's overcome with emotions)
165. i cannot believe that anyone can deserve you.
166. i would not have parted with you, my lizzie, to anyone less worthy.
167. their banter even still
168. GODDESS DIVINE.
169. "you may only call me mrs darcy when you are completely, perfectly, and incandescently happy."
170. proceeds to call her mrs darcy over and over as he peppers her with kisses