Angus Milne’s review published on Letterboxd:
- Willem Dafoe was a great casting choice
- Film contains the right amount of style, both visually and with the soundtrack
- Had the right amount of cheesiness to it, much like the rest of Wingard's filmography
- Light should have been casted better
- A bit cluttered. Trying to cram a whole anime series into one film
Of the two anime adaptations this year, I definitely thought Ghost In The Shell was a much stronger film. This one was a lot more cheesy, although I've come to expect that from Wingard given his previous track record. His specialty seems to be cheesy, but fun.
Overall I'd recommend giving this a chance without expecting to hate it based on the large number of overwhelmingly negative reviews, although I'm sure it's not for everyone.